Fashion Fever | The Future of Fashion: BETA

IF YOU HAVEN’T ALREADY WATCHED MY PITCH VIDEO, CLICK HERE TO LEARN WHAT MY DA IS ALL ABOUT; AND IF YOU WISH TO WATCH THE FIRST VIDEO ESSAY OF MY SERIES ‘THE FUTURE OF FASHION PT.1, CLICK HERE

BACKGROUND REASERCH

Week 4’s Soundcloud podcast offers insight into “Ethical Foundations of Futures Studies”. It mentions that “Futures Studies asks questions about the ethical foundations of its research: “Why, for example, is a sustainable society better than an unsustainable one?”.  Annie Radner Linden paper talks about ethical foundations of research and the difference between a sustainable society vs an unsustainable one. She also talks about in Chapters 1-3, about the future of fast fashion and the history behind it which massively helped me in my first video essay and used her paper as a main academic source. “The focus on analysing fast fashions global commodity chains or supply chains leaves out the material culture that surrounds this industry’s unique phenomenon of disposable clothing (Linden, 2016).”

This paper from 2005 ‘China and Italy: Fast Fashion versus Prêt à Porter’ https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.2752/136270405778051527 discusses the complex relationship between these two huge influences in the fashion production industry and movement towards a new culture of fashion. This will be another academically sourced article that will assist me in creating my final 2 video essays moving forward as part of my research.

REFERENCES

Linden, A., 2016. An Analysis of the Fast Fashion Industry. [online] Digitalcommons.bard.edu. Available at: <https://digitalcommons.bard.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1033&context=senproj_f2016&gt;

[Accessed 10 May 2021].

Segre, R., 2015. China and Italy: Fast Fashion versus Prêt à Porter. Towards a New Culture of Fashion. [online] Taylor & Francis. Available at: <https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.2752/136270405778051527&gt;

[Accessed 10 May 2021].

Published by graciemblogs

Bachelor of Communications and Media // 3rd year // Majoring in Social and Digital Media 😊

3 thoughts on “Fashion Fever | The Future of Fashion: BETA

  1. Hi, Grace! I am very interested in your digital artifact project! And I browsed and researched the key brand SHEIN you studied, because this is the first time, I know this brand. I find that SHEIN’s products are in line with the purpose of fast fashion brands-cheap, fashionable, and often discounted! But while these fast fashion brands have been producing new products, rapid production and waste have become a problem in the fast fashion industry.
    I found a blog post about the unsustainable growth of fast fashion(https://thinksustainabilityblog.com/2020/04/14/the-unsustainable-growth-of-fast-fashion/ ), which mentioned that only 1% of the waste of fast fashion clothes can be recycled. The remaining 99% may become garbage that cannot be process. The fast fashion brand business model is to encourage buyers to buy more clothes, leading to more and more waste. Both dyeing and water use have adverse effects on rivers and soil. Therefore, my suggestion is to raise these issues in depth in the third blog on the future of fast fashion and warn people not to buy fast fashion brand products blindly. Otherwise, the future of fast fashion brands will lead to worse environmental impacts.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: